Steps for the Activity
Watch the Pharrel Williams' Happy dance choreography, form a circle, and practice the dance together.
Now start hacking the dance. The first person changes a step.
The person to the left dances the new step and either hacks that step or hacks another step.
Repeat until everyone has danced. After the last person has made their hack, everyone practices the new dance together.
- How did you hack the dance?
- Discuss the rules — what were they?
- Was the end dance the same as the beginning dance?
- What should we name our dance now?
- Is the original dance destroyed?
- What actions were you doing while hacking?
- What was the goal of the activity? To create a new dance by hacking.
- What made the dance fun? Discuss creativity and co-developing the project.
- How do you think hacking a dance will be similar to hacking a website?